Korean Fried Chicken Wings
- 2-3 lbs chicken wings (tips discarded, and wings cut at the joints-washed and pat dry)
- 1 cup of Wondra flour (ideal mjöl)
- 1 ts salt
- 1 ts pepper
Soy Ginger Glaze
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup thinly sliced ginger
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbs honey or corn syrup
- 1-2 tbs Korean fermented chile or rooster brand garlic chile or red pepper flakes (adjust according to your tastes)
- optional: 1/4 cup toasted sesame
|Soy Ginger Glaze|
First prep the chicken wings, wash, and pat dry with paper towel. In a mixing bowl, combine about 1 cup ofWondra flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken wings in the flour mixture to get a fine light coat.
Heat some cooking oil in a deep fryer or a deep frying pan to about 350 degrees. Fry chicken wings, in batches if necessary, about 5 min. Remove, and shake any excess flour/grit off and allow to cool.
Now in a small saucepan, add the water, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, chili, sugar and bring to boil. Then add the honey/corn syrup and reduce by half and it will be a thick maple syrup like consistency and set aside.
Re-fry the wings until crispy golden brown, about another 5-8 minutes. Drain on frying rack or paper towels. Dredge or brush on the soy ginger glaze. You can finish with some toasted sesame on top.